Six masked characters experience one country’s collapse into absurdity. An exploration of the human crisis that has befallen Venezuela. Elsewhere uses mask and storytelling to explore six lives affected by the Venezuelan crisis.
In Elsewhere, a Grandmother dips into memories of easier times, a Beauty Queen waits in line to feed her children, a Police Officer questions his alliance with the government, a Homeless Man pleads to god, a Political Prisoner waits for freedom, and a Venezuelan-Canadian watches from afar wondering what she can do to help.
- Writer and performance: Joy Ross-Jones
- Director and dramaturgy: Cristina Cugliandro
- Set and costume design: Liv Wright
- Lighting: Amber Hood
- Sound: Martin Nishikawa
- Masks: Mathieu René
- Stage management: Heather Ellen Strain
- Movement coaching: Leslie Baker
- Mask coaching: Myrna Wyatt Selkirk
- Dramaturgy: Emma Tibaldo
- Mentorship: Micheline Chevrier and Shauna Janssen
- Graphic artwork: Marisa Velazquez-Rivas
Notes and Awards
Nominated for the Creativity Award with honourable mention for Best Production, and winner of the Most Promising English Language Company from the Segal Center for Performing Arts awards in 2017. This project is supported by: Playwrights Workshop Montréal, The Cole Foundation and The Rialto Theatre.